Maine AHGP Information
Kennebec County

Augusta, p-t., capital of Kennebec co., and of the state of Me., is situated on both sides of the Kennebec r., 43 ms. from the ocean, at the head of sloop navigation, 44° 18' 43" n. lat. 69° 50' w. lon., 146 n. e. Concord, N. H., 163 n. n. e. Boston, Mass., 595 W. Pop. 1810, 1,805; 1820, 2,475; 1830, 3,980; 1840, 5,314. First settled 1771, incorporated 1797. The t. is 8 by 6 miles. The parts of the village are connected by a fine bridge across the Kennebec, 520 feet long, which cost $28,000. It is regularly laid out; the ground rises on each side of the river; it has many fine buildings, and the streets are ornamented by trees on each side. Its agriculture, commerce, and manufactures are flourishing. Its tonnage is over 3,000. The state house is a beautiful white granite building on a commanding eminence, half a mile s. from the village. The apartments for the senate, house of representatives, and state offices, are spacious and elegant. Before it, is a spacious park, ornamented with walks and trees. The United States arsenal is a large stone edifice on the E. side of the r. The state insane hospital is a splendid granite edifice with wings, on the e. side of the r., surrounded by 70 acres of ground, and cost $100,000. The Augusta high school is a large brick building, 65 by 50 feet, 2 stories high, with a fine doric portico, and cost $7,000. There is a splendid dam erected across the Kennebec, half a mile above the village, with locks to facilitate navigation, completed in 1837, at an expense of $300,000, which will create an immense water power. In constructing the dam, 2,500,000 feet of timber were used, and 75,000 tons of stones and gravel were deposited in it. The pond formed by this dam extends 16 miles, and covers 1,200 acres. It has 64 stores, cap. $141,650; 3 tanneries, 1 distillery, 4 grist m., 4 saw m., 2 oil m. Cap. in manufac. $66,550. 2 acad. 150 students, 26 sch. 1,129 scholars. Read More about Maine other States, Counties and towns


@ Maine American History and Genealogy Project
Created May 29, 2014 by Judy White